Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Character Rotation

Now that people are starting to check out my website I just wanted to teach people how to leave comments for people who have never seen blogs before.

To leave a comment on my blog:
Choose a post you want to comment on
Scroll to the bottom of the post and click "COMMENTS"
In the window that pops up type your comment in the box at the bottom
Click name/URL and leave your name so I know who left it!

There that was easy, now it will e-mail me so I know you looked at it! Unfortunately you can't comment on my animations on youtube without having an account first.

Also for those who have never used blogs before, if you click on the images in my posts you can see them bigger.

I've also added the mailing list to my main page so please sign up to receive updates!

Now on to the more interesting stuff.

The image below is the character rotation that we handed in today. I think it turned out pretty good! Better then the character I did for my portfolio to get in to animation. It's a lot less stressful when your not thinking about how your whole intellectual career hangs on the one drawing, so I got to experiment and be a little more free about the design of this character.

I still felt kind of rushed though, we had 4 weeks to do it, but with all the other homework it's really not that long. But the teacher said he's not looking for perfection since it's our first project. Apparently the next assignments will be "a lot more fun" and "less structured".


Somehow the scan turned out all mucky, I think the school's scanners need to be cleaned. My scanner isn't hooked up yet because I keep forgetting to get the cord from home. It's a bit of a hassle to use the scanners at school, as far as I know there are only two rooms with scanners and the doors to those rooms are locked arbitrarily.

Another thing that bugs me is that our perspective class is in a small English room in the E wing instead of a drafting room in the animation building. Our big sketchpads don't even fit on the tables. I know for a fact that the art fundamentals program has big drafting rooms and they are paying significantly less then us... suspicious if you ask me. It's very frustrating knocking elbows and poking each other with our long metal rulers in a tiny, hot room.

I don't mean to complain though, I'm having so much fun. We watch and study cartoons all the time, what can be better then that? I'm learning so much and all the teachers are helpful and knowledgeable, it's great. Especially in life drawing where we're learning anatomy, I'm finding it really interesting. Studying all those bones has been giving me some weird nightmares though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds a lot more fun than what I've been doing. @.@;

Finance. More and more finance. With a sprinkling of marketing and microeconomics. I think the high-point of my current academic term is my Business Computing course because I know everything and can sleep behind my screen. ^^;

And I'm in one of those rooms in the E building too... tomorrow, actually. Why must that building be so far away from the rest of civilization? D;

Anonymous said...

Wow! For a first character rotation... you are a talented puppy, Laura!!! I will be watching your progress with great interest.